Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Quilt

At long last, I've snapped some pics of The Very Hungry Caterpillar quilt!

This one took a sabbatical in the Land of UFOs while I fretted about how to quilt it. Then I got some great ideas and it languished some more because...well, I truly don't know why. I was still unsure how to quilt it, I think.

I am so glad I got over that hump and just dove in!
Very Hungry Caterpillar Quilt
The whole quilt, artfully arranged on a chaise longue on our patio

Some close up pics of the quilting detail:
Quilting Detail - butterfly
Butterfly with thread painting

Quilting detail
I quilted the foods he ate in the solid border

Quilting detail - borders
Plus some loops around the fruit and squares around the other foods 

Quilting Detail - caterpillar
Eponymous Caterpillar + stippling in the polka dots

Quilting Detail - leaf
I like the quilting on this leaf

The backing is a piece of purple fabric and it's quite plain so no pics. I attached the binding by machine, and it looks just okay. I was so eager to get this done that I know I rushed that part but I think it will be more durable, and it doesn't look terrible. I definitely need practice at that technique. I found I was more successful when stitching on top of the binding rather than stitching on the front of the quilt, trying to catch the binding in my seams. Even with pinning and all that. Eh, whatever. I'm happy with the finished product.

And so is my daughter, who refused to be without it for the two hours it would've taken to show it to Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild. Oh, well. There's always next month!

1 comment:

  1. What a great quilt! And the quilting you've done on it is just fabulous. No wonder your daughter won't let it go! :)

    ReplyDelete

I *love* comments, and I try to respond to every one by email (but I can't if you're a no-reply blogger!). So go on, don't be shy - leave one to let me know you've stopped by!