Friday, March 25, 2011

VMQG Kaufman Challenge

Ask and ye shall receive. Our guild's intrepid Executive inquired whether Canadian guilds would be eligible for Kaufman's solids challenge. And happily, they are!

A bunch of Robert Kaufman Kona Solids charm packs in the dark colourway made their way to us last meeting. I haven't yet seen any guilds use the darks - most seem to have chosen the bright or dusty palettes - and so I agree with Kaelin (our Prez) who said she thinks our quilts are going to be fabulously different as a result.

Kauffman Solids for VMQG Challenge
Isn't this a gorgeous set of colours? 

Whereas other guilds have specified guidelines like No Prints Allowed, our guild chose to leave the challenge pretty open. The only requirement of the VMQG challenge is that the fabrics in the charm pack should be the focus of the quilt.

My initial thoughts were a stacked coin-style quilt (like this or this) because charms tend to lend themselves to being put in stacks. Then an idea came to me. I won't tell you exactly what it is (yet), but I will give you the following three cryptic hints:
  1. Kona Medium Grey;
  2. Helen Keller;
  3. I will be using each and every charm in the design.
I'm so excited!! After I finish the DQS10 quilt (this weekend, gods willing) and get caught up on my two quilt alongs, I will start on this project. The deadline is our June meeting - not that far away!!

8 comments:

  1. Oh stoppit, you have a plan already?? Paula has a charm pack held in trust for me. I just hafta get home from FL and get my creative mojo back on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO jealous!! I don't know why our MQG isn't meeting. When ever e-mails are sent out, there's always a ton of interest. ? Who knows.

    I'm excited to see what you come up with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad they picked the darker hue too. I have one project to finish and then I'll be starting this one. I have a couple of sketches started, still not sure which one I'm going to go with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen Keller...hmmmm, seems an odd hint to pair a blind woman with color! I am perplexed. Will it be something spelled out in brail?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful colors in that charm pack! Can't wait to see what you will do with them... your clues are tantalizing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Kansas City guild is huge enough that Robert Kaufman just sent us some of each colorway, and we each got to choose what we'd like to work with. The end results were so fabulous, and fabulously different from one another. It was a LOT of fun. Can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVELY... and, I know I know! But I won't say it so it will be a surprise. : )

    So, the challenge... is this for modern guilds only? Our guild is huge... but pretty eclectic.

    ~M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen Keller?? I'm intrigued. A braille quilt? : )

    ReplyDelete

I *love* comments, and I try to respond to every one by email (but I can't if you're a no-reply blogger!). So go on, don't be shy - leave one to let me know you've stopped by!