Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Playmat for PKU

I mentioned earlier that a friend from prenatal class has a little girl with PKU, and CanPKU is having its annual fundraiser in September.

I made this playmat as an auction item and I'm so pleased with how it turned out! It was super fast to put together and the black and white fabrics were fun to use.

Playmat Front
The whites look wonky here; there isn't *that* much variation in the white backrounds

Closeup of the "Play." and quilting detail. I used my Bernina wave stitch and red thread (Aurifil - my one true thread love) and I am very happy with it - I got tons of great suggestions when I asked for help but I chose the easiest/quickest option, natch. By the way, did you know that there's a Flickr group devoted to getting quilting advice? Everyone there is great - I highly recommend it.

playmat detail

Styled at the local playground - fitting, no?

Playmat at Playground

The back and binding is just a red/white fabric from my stash. Actually, this whole quilt is a stash quilt - yay, me!

Playmat Back

Speaking of the binding - which is attached by machine - I followed this tutorial and used fusible thread to fuse the binding down to keep it in place while I sewed it. I know others use basting glue for that purpose, and I was maybe likely doing it wrong, but it didn't hold as well for me. My only problem was that I think I scorched the back a wee bit while pressing down the binding. Hopefully that will wash out (she says anxiously).

Linking up (late) to Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story!

8 comments:

  1. Yay you indeed! This is adorable. I'm totally checking out that Flickr group! I'm always in the market for new advice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The playmat looks fabulous! Thanks for the link to the flickr group!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turned out fab - love the wavy quilting lines. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice quilt! I didn't know about that flickr group either. I like the quilted lines. I will have to try that one of these days...easy but super cool looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute, Felicity!!! I especially love the period after "Play" :) So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I love this fun-loving quilt, and I know it's new owner will too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! Such a sweet gift, and the bold red letters are stunning. :)

    ReplyDelete

I *love* comments, and I try to respond to every one by email (but I can't if you're a no-reply blogger!). So go on, don't be shy - leave one to let me know you've stopped by!