Saturday, October 1, 2011

How Quilters Show Gratitude

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone when I say that when someone does something nice for me, my immediate reaction is to want to thank them with a quilt. I don't always follow through, mind you, but the thought nearly always occurs to me.

My friend Cindy bestowed a random act of kindness on me not too long ago - I made a cheeky comment about some long-forgotten (and therefore out of print) fabric she had unearthed in one of the fabric hiding storage places in her home. Along the lines of "I'd be happy to take care of that Layer Cake for you har dee har har." And wouldn't you know, a package arrived on my doorstep not long thereafter containing the LC. I was so blown away by her thoughtfulness and kindness, I knew I would HAVE to thank her with a quilt.

It took me a little while, but the idea for the design finally came to me.

I started with this:
and created this:

LACL front 2

I'm pretty chuffed with how it turned out. Quilting was - as always - a stumper, but I took my cue from what I did with my Kona Solids Challenge quilt, and quilted the image of a sun within the words. This is the "secret project" on which I used the Aurifil 12/2 wool thread. It's a bit fuzzy but I loved what the pale yellow brings to the quilt.

LACL closeup

The sun was quilted with my walking foot; I just wiggled the quilt to make the wavy sun rays. The circles in the border were done free-motion using Aurifil 50/2 thread in a pale cream.

I kept this quilt's back completely plain, except for the label.
LACL back

Cindy received this today, so now I can blog about it! I think she likes it, don't you? Actually, I'm not sure who's more excited for her to have received it, me or Cindy!

LACL front 3

Never, ever doubt that the friends you meet in the online quilting community aren't "real" - they very much are.

I'll link up to {Sew} Modern Monday and Manic Mondays this week! And maybe even Quilt Story's Fabric Tuesday too! Plus, it's Fresh Sewing Day over at Lily's Quilts, and Mini Quilt Monday at Fresh Lemons! This quilt is gonna be making the rounds, people!
Fresh Sewing Day

39 comments:

  1. I love everything about it...the colors, the piecing, the quilting...All sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an angel...how beautifull.
    I have also added you to my fav list...your work is awsume...can't wait to see more.
    Cheers Nic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's FAB!! love the letters, and the sunshine quilting! What a lovely gift :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so beautiful...i love the sun quilting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wonderful, and so creative. Love all the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such an amazing gift! Felicity, wow!!! I love Cindy and I am sure she is over the moon over this quilt you made her. Beautiful...thank you so much for your big heart and sharing it with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I "think" she likes it too, lol. It's just as wonderful as the gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GORGEOUS! simply gorgeous. How could she not love it! great work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous work Felicity. I am going to have to try a lettering quilt soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. are you sure she likes it? lol! what a fabulous quilt and gift, you rock Felicity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this today on Cindy's blog. It's a lovely thank you and I know that she's tickled beyond pink. Just count the exclamation points in the post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous quilt! I love the sun stitched on there and the beautiful rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this - the lettering is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It SHOULD be making the rounds. It is spectacular. Every.single.thing.about.it!!!

    Thanks, Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so amazing, Felicity!!! Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely amazing Felicity! I'm certain Cindy loves it - who wouldn't???

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so great! You are both so thoughtful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are awesome--I love this mini and your letters are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so awesome! That is very thoughtful and creative. It looks like your recipient loved it, too. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's gorgeous. You did such an awesome job recreating her header, and Cindy LOVES it. I can tell from her post, :)

    I absolutely love the sun quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a wonderful quilt and the quilted sun is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love love love that quilt and even more love your multiple linkings!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful quilt and a thoughtful gift! Everything about it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Holy crap! This is freaking incredible!!! The sunshine quilting knocks my socks off. Have pinned :) What a great job. Cindy is a very lucky lady- and I agree with your sentiment about "virtual" friends being "real". Though I still hope to make a toast to that with you over a REAL glass of wine someday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! What a fabulous quilt. Your quilting really adds to the overall quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the colors and the letters and the paint pot type polka dots and I especially love the way you quilted it... It kind of explodes - exactly your point, I guess.
    Love, love, love it!
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow, that looks amazing. i love that you quilted a sun. how awesome! I'm stoked to be meeting friends in blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely quilt! Love it all - the letters, the colors, what a wonderful gift...

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is simply stunning! I am so inspired by your work!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are so sweet! I bet Cindy was blown away by this!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are a total quilting star! Love it, the whole thing is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a sweet and beautiful way to thank Cindy! I love her reaction on her blog - she loved your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful job Felicity! Love the sunburst on the back with the quilting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a nice gift! So pretty and I love the quilting on it.

    ReplyDelete

I *love* comments, and I try to respond to every one by email (but I can't if you're a no-reply blogger!). So go on, don't be shy - leave one to let me know you've stopped by!