Monday, November 28, 2011

Preschool Quilts! Are! Finished!

Dunzo! Finis! Hooray!

I could not be more happy with how these quilties turned out, not to mention the fact that they're done two and a half weeks ahead of time.

These are for a live-auction fundraiser for my little girl's preschool. There is a Kindergarten group, and a morning and afternoon preschool class. Usually each one has its own item to auction off. So Mother of the Year here volunteered to make a quilt for each group, with the kids' participation.

While I loved what Angela did here, I figured that might be a wee bit too advanced for 3 to 5 year olds, and settled on having them write their names on a leaf to add to their class's quilt. I helped the littler ones if they needed it, either by writing their name for them altogether, or by adding their name where what they'd written was a bit tough to decipher.

Everything was adhered using Heat n Bond light, which, when you use as much of the stuff as I did, really gums up the machine needle and causes the bobbin thread a fair bit of consternation. But I persevered, and I love how they turned out.

Kindergarten quilt - a garden for the kindergartens! 42" x 49" - a large wall-hanging or a small coverlet.

Kindergarten quilt

Detail shot of the cuteness (all the bugs were fussy-cut from a scrap without a selvage so I have no clue who made it).

Kindergarten quilt detail 2

Here's what the back looks like:

kindergarten quilt back

Morning Class quilt, which finished at 42"x54":

am preschool

Detail shots:

am preschool quilt detail 4
am preschool quilt detail 3

Back (fabulous IKEA fabric!):

a.m. preschool quilt back

Afternoon Class quilt, which finished at 42"x53":

pm preschool quilt

Some more details:

preschool quilt detail 2
preschool quilt detail 1

Back (more fabulous IKEA fabric):

p.m. preschool quilt back

Clever readers may have noticed that the two AM/PM preschool quilts are a diptych - here they are side by side.

am preschoolpm preschool quilt

Waaay more photos (yes, there are, in fact, more) may be found in my Flickr photostream, and I am linking up all over the darn place with these lovely finishes, including Finish It Up Friday at crazy mom quilts and these other places:

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations











Sew Happy Geek

Fresh Poppy Design



Fresh Sewing Day


42 comments:

  1. Very cool! There are so many fun things about these quilts. Of course the kids' contributions are sweet, but I also love the buzzing bee messages and that background fabric is neat, too! Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I love your quilts. And 2+ weeks early??? Excellent. The quilting is perfecto.

    Now...are you going to try to win one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Felicity, these are absolutely amazing. Wow, what is that fabulous text-y fabric in the background. Love!! You are so talented. I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mother of the year indeed! Undisputed. And I can definitely say that because it darn near killed me making ONE of these leafy preschool quilts for my kiddo's class last spring, let alone THREE! And they are absolutely stunning. Love the mirror image thingy and about a million of the other many details. Freaking Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them all! Such great details, and I especially love the details that you put into the quilting with the black thread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so amazing. And the backing fabrics...I must make a trip to Ikea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are wonderful Felicity! Beautiful job! And congratulations on the early finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GORGEOUS! You did a spectacular job with these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you ARE mother of the year! These quilts are so fun and colorful and happy. I love the quilted writing and all the details. I'm just in awe .....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy cow, Felicity, these are amazing!!! You've almost inspired me to volunteer to do something like this for my son's preschool...almost! I love the way you quilted these quilts and the fab Ikea backings you used (and thanks for the reminder about Ikea fabric, I'd forgotten about them!). So gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was A LOT of work. Amazing. I hope that they do really well at the auction. I can't imagine that they would not. They are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really nicely done. Congrats. I'm sure they are going to be a huge hit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! You really are mother of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eeee! these are just fab- love them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These turned out awesome! So many cute details. :) Love the sun rays you quilted and the lady bug is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Felicity those are crazy awesome. You are one incredibly talented quilter - and a super Mom to boot!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Turned out so great! You must be happy with them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hereby revoke your membership in the last minute club and welcome you to the keener klub with open arms (says me who is almost DONE her crafty Christmas gifts).

    Be proud, be very proud. These quilts are fantastic and I hope they raise lots of money for the Montessori!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are amazing! So cute and I love all the fun details :) Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are so gorgeous!!! And I love the pic of them side by side:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these quilts! They are so beauitful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful... Hopped on here from Lynne's blog...
    Cheers from India

    ReplyDelete
  23. Totally amazing and LOVE that the kindergartners got involved too! Beautiful. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely idea and the quilts (all!) look great.
    And not too difficult to achieve.
    Would be nice for a baby's room as well.
    Thanks for the idea.
    Can you also give extra hours in a day?
    (would've been nice)
    Thanks!
    I found you on Fresh Sewing Day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are fabulous. So beautiful and I love that the children's names are on the leaves :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. These quilt rock and you do to for finishing them early!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am impressed by your work with the children! Hope they make lots of money!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great results from all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Eeek! SO adorable! You did an absolutely wonderful job!!

    E's preschool has a similar auction, and I would LOVE to do something like this. But with a three classrooms, all of them with separate A.M. and P.M. groups, and some meeting only on alternating days, that's like 10 classes to cover. Noooooo thank you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, those are so sweet! And so thoughtful! Great finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I don't blame you for wanting to share these with the world. They are amazing! I think you truly do deserve "mother of the year!" What an undertaking... well done!

    ReplyDelete
  33. WOW!!! These are fabulous! No wonder you are so proud of them! Hope they bring in lots of moolah at the auction. Smiles~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, these quilts are great! I love the fussy cut bugs and the birds, they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The tree quilts are just the cutest things I've seen!! Great job!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love a quilt where the back's as fabulous as the top..too cute! I had no idea IKEA sold fabric, either. Thanks for visiting my blog..come back anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  37. These quilts are ALL AMAZING!!! The details are fantastic. And you got them done 2 1/2 weeks early?!? That's gotta feel great! GREAT job! I do love how the tree quilts go together. Such a neat idea!

    Thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  38. those three quilts are sooooo cool. i love them!

    ReplyDelete
  39. These tree quilts are so darling!!

    ReplyDelete

I *love* comments, and I try to respond to every one by email (but I can't if you're a no-reply blogger!). So go on, don't be shy - leave one to let me know you've stopped by!