Sunday, May 8, 2011

Oceanic Supernova

So many thanks go to Lee at Freshly Pieced for sharing her wonderful pattern Supernova via a quilt along. I had a blast watching this quilt come together, and I am absolutely thrilled with the result.

And so, without further ado, I present to you Oceanic Supernova:

Oceanic Supernova Full Frontal

I elected to follow one of Lee's many helpful suggested quilting strategies (which she generously mocked up for us), and quilted ¼" outside the main pieced lines in the pattern. This quilt is staying with us (yay!) and my husband prefers less quilting to more. Fine with (lazy) me!! I used a 30wt thread by Aurifil in a light blue, and it worked beautifully, in my opinion. Just enough contrast against the white background, as well as the various colours of the quilt.

Oceanic Supernova Front

Here, you can see the colour of the thread a little better:

Quilting closeup2

And here is the back:

Oceanic Supernova Back

It's pieced together fairly randomly using the larger scraps from the quilt top - which started as a Fat Quarter bundle of Kona Solids called Poseidon - together with some yardage of Kona Caribbean (the big blocks of blue/green) and some strips of the Giant Octopi print I used for the centre square of the centre block on the front. I loosely followed Kati's Slash and Sew method, and I've got a process post about that in the works. I quite like the final product!

For now, though, I am delighted that I kept up with this quilt along and finished in time to be eligible to win a FQ bundle of Castle Peeps! Next up on the list is my Kona Charm Challenge for which I have both a plan AND (now) an opening in my schedule. Hooray!

This is a big finish for me, so those of you who join up to {Sew} Modern Mondays, Fabric Tuesday and WIP Wednesday are gonna be seeing a lot of Oceanic Supernova!

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge CreationsFresh Poppy DesignWIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

34 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Well done, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, Felicity! I love the mix of solids as well as the fun marine prints in the centres of the blocks. Glad you'll be keeping this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I'm a big fan of that quilting style too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just perfect, Felicity! I'm in love with every aspect of this quilt--the quilting, the colors, the back! Oceanic goodness. What did you do for the binding? White?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the front and the back! I also love the blue and the orange together. Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out beautifully! I am so glad you are keeping it as it is one to keep coming back to, just to admire. I'm going to see the finished quilt is a couple of weeks, right??!! Good luck woprking on your challenge - can't wait to see thatt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is wonderful! Beautiful quilting, the back is spectacular and the name is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Felicity - this is a finish of oceanic proportions for sure. I just love the palette you chose (I want to go back to Barbados!!) and think that the quilting is perfect. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is just fabulous and I love the back almost as much as the front.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you SURE you want to keep that Felicity?! Because it would be more than welcome to visit me in Australia anytime!! :P ;) Great job! I love love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, it turned out so lovely, the colour palette is gorgeous! Your quilting works great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love this, Felicity. That FQ stack is one of my favorites. So glad you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome job, Felicity! This looks fantastic. I'm so glad you showed a close-up of the quilting, I love the thread color you chose. I've always loved that Poseidon FQ stack, and I just adore how you used it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it, love it, love it. Nice flow, great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It turned out beautifully! I love everything about it. The thread, the fabrics, everything!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! Love the colors of fabric and thread for the quilting!
    I linked up my Supernova today, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What a stunning quilt, and I love the splash of orange in the centres. Gorgeous shades of blue too. Well done! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sooo fantastic! You SHOULD be really proud of your supernova! It is really terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just perfect. That's all I have to say about that. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. INCREDIBLE! Love it! The print in the centers, the colors ... love everything about it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. THAT. IS. GORGEOUS!!! I love it! (I'm only sorry I didn't get a chance to do the quilt along with everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, it is so awesome!!! One of my new overall faves, I think. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is one of very favorite Supernovas! (And I have a fat qtr stack of Poseidon on its way to me, just be of you!)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow. Several finished Supernova quilts are jumping up all over the place and they are great! Now, yours is special in the blue/green theme and it is just lovely. The first I've seen. Really nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great finish Felicity. The quilting is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a neat quilt, and the back is super

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful! I love the center squares with your choice of Konas. And that back is perfect! Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your quilt is absolutely beautiful and your quilting is absolutely perfect! : ) NICE!!!
    ~Monika in Saskatoon

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really love the colours you've chosen, simple and understated but it all combines to be really stunning. And the flashes in the center of the blocks are so cute! You're welcome to link up over at SewHappyGeek Manic Monday linky party! It runs till Thursday night. www.sewhappygeek.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  31. love love love this. The colours are amazing! Definitely on the inspiration list. thank you,it's absolutely incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful quilt - such lovely colours with the splash of orange!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great color choices. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I *love* comments, and I try to respond to every one by email (but I can't if you're a no-reply blogger!). So go on, don't be shy - leave one to let me know you've stopped by!